Ya know the best thing about waking up? No, it’s not just “Folgers in your cup” although I am pretty sure anyone remotely close to my age remembers those commercials! It’s waking up on a weekend after a looooooooong week and knowing all you have to do to have a yummy, family pleasing breakfast on the table is to pop something in the oven. Finally free to actually sit down and ENJOY that cup of coffee you so desperately need since your kiddos don’t understand you too may want to sleep in once in a while. That’s what this Overnight Pecan Topped French Toast Casserole can do for your life.
Seriously, go back to bed you little humans.
During the week breakfasts typically consist of cereal or a smoothie for the kiddos and pretty much coffee for the hubs and I. Let’s be honest. It’s a good morning in my house if I make it out with make-up on and I didn’t have to remind, rather, beg my youngest 5 times to brush his teeth before we head out of the door. Please tell me it’s the same for some of you. It will make me feel better about myself.
On the weekend though there is nothing better than a nice hot breakfast to kick off the day. Everyone is is finally in one place and we actually have time to sit down together before the activities and errands commence. This tasty goodness is a favorite in the BoiledNoodle house and SOOOOOO easy to prepare!
It’s also great if you happen to end up with extra kids on the weekends like we somehow always do. Seriously, don’t you have homes? It’s nice there….you should go there sometimes extra children….
All you need to make this is a little bit of time the night before and about 45-55 minutes in the oven. Easy Peasy.
Putting it together isn’t even hard. Placing the bread in the baking dish doesn’t have to become a game of Tetris with perfectly intertwining slices. Just layer them in there as best you can. They can most certainly overlap and even a double layer is ok. Just try to cover the bottom of the dish as best as you can and feel free to squish that bread in!
Drown that bread in the egg/milk mixture! Feel free to gently push down on the bread slice to make sure they are really getting drenched. It’s ok, they won’t mind.
Pop into the fridge overnight and that’s it!!
Morning comes and your kiddos are dying of starvation??? Top the happily soaked bread with an insanely sweet and crunchy mixture of nutty pecans, sweetened coconut, butter and brown sugar and spread evenly. All you have to do now is bake that bad boy for 45-55 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve them a nice big square of this french toast casserole topped with a pat or two of butter and syrup. As a result, they will TOTALLY leave you alone to enjoy a slow morning. At least until they are done eating.
Overnight Pecan Topped French Toast Casserole is great for a crowd, a brunch, and even better the next day as well!! Put it all together tonight so you too can enjoy a nice peaceful morning this weekend!! Once you give this a shot, it will be fave in your house as well!
Overnight Pecan Topped French Toast Casserole
Prepped the night before and popped into the oven the next morning delivers a super satisfying breakfast casserole your whole family will love!
- 1 Loaf French Bread (couple days old is best)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (7 oz total)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 7 Whole Eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 Cup butter, sofftened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- 1 1/2 Cups Pecans, roughly chopped
- Step 1 Slice French Bread into 1/2 inch slices. Place in a lightly buttered 9×13 baking dish. Try to cover the bottom of the pan evenly with bread but slices can overlap. No need for perfection here!
- Step 2 In large bowl combine remaining ingredients through salt. Whisk together.
- Step 3 Gently pour over the bread being sure to completely cover it all. Feel free to “smush” down that bread into the egg/milk mixture to make sure it’s all coated.
- Step 4 Place in fridge for at least an hour but even better yet, overnight.
- Step 5 When ready to bake, combine butter, sugar, coconut and pecans in a bowl. Stir to combine. Spread evenly over the soaked bread.
- Step 6 Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes. Serve topped with Maple Syrup!