Happy National Caramel Day!!!!
Did you know it was National Caramel Day?? I didn’t either until not long ago when I thought to myself….”since when are there so many National Food Days?” and “why am I not utilizing these national food days as justification for eating copious amounts of things I probably shouldn’t be eating?”.
I think a lot of things to myself apparently.
Back to National Caramel Day.
When I think of caramel, despite the numerous decadent permutations of desserts, cookies, cakes, and candies, my mind always resorts to one thing. Caramel Apples. Specifically caramel apples rolled in crushed peanuts. No matter how old I get, how many
grey strands sparkles develop in my hair, I will ALWAYS be in a happy place with a caramel apple in hand.
With caramel day approaching, I decided that I wanted to pay homage to the caramel apple….but in pie form. Incorporate a simple store bought caramel dip and crushed peanuts (which could be easily left out in case of allergies) into a glorious pile of sliced granny smiths then encase it all with a SUPER flaky food processor dough from Crisco. For this pie I used their recipe for a Double Crust Deep Dish. This recipe is pretty simple and pretty easy on the ingredients as well!! I am in NO WAY the best pie maker…to be honest, my crust usually comes out looking crazy in the “crimping” department…but who cares. It does NOT have to be perfect. This crust has such an amazing taste and flakiness to it……no one is gonna care about how those edges look 🙂
Tummy’s growling again. Damn.
You need this…I promise. It’s literally just missing the stick. Drizzle a little more caramel and sprinkle some more chopped peanuts on top when you get your slice. Top it with some good ole vanilla ice cream…..OR FOR EXTRA INDULGENCE…Velvet’s Butter Pecan & Cashew like I did here. Trust me. SOOOOOO worth the calories!
Full disclosure…this pie didn’t even last until today.
Filling for Caramel Apple Pie w/ Peanuts
Caramel Apple Pie with Crushed Peanuts....I mean its a caramel apple in pie form...what more is there in life?!?!
- 6 Cups Peeled/Sliced Granny Smith Apples
- 1/2 Cup Caramel DIP (like Marzetti's)
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Peanuts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. Water
- Additional Chopped Peanuts and Caramel for topping after!
- Step 1 Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pie pan ( I used a deep dish one here) with your favorite pie crust dough, Crisco one in post, or even store bought roll of pie dough.
- Step 2 In large bowl, mix all ingredients through the 3/4 Cup Chopped Peanuts and stir to thoroughly coat.
- Step 3 Pour onto bottom crust in pie dish and spread evenly.
- Step 4 Top with 2nd pie crust, tucking the edges of the dough under the first crust and sealing together/crimping with fingers or a fork.
- Step 5 Make 3-4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Step 6 Brush top crust lightly with a mixture of one egg and a Tbsp of water.
- Step 7 To prevent over browning, cover the edges of the pie crust with some aluminum foil.
- Step 8 Bake 35 minutes, then remove foil from the edges, and bake for another 20 minutes.
This post participated in the Weekend Potluck Linky Party