Brussels Sprouts get a bad rap, don’t ya think?
They are always one of those veggies that kids turn up their nose to. Sharing time? I remember being a child of the 80’s and not wanting to eat them because I thought they would one day be Cabbage Patch babies. Yup. Not a cannibal, parents. Not eating them.
Fortunately for me, I didn’t carry that fear through to being an adult (if thats what you can call what I am). Good thing to because I would have missed out on eating them like this!
I definitely don’t mind eating brussels sprouts simply steamed with a touch of seasoning or, god forbid, with some good ole melted butter drizzled over top. But roast those little mini cabbages or char them in a pan like this and I will GLADLY eat those bad boys daily. My kids too! THAT’S enough to make this momma one happy camper. Theres something about roasting those veggies..
SOOO many different flavors work with with brussels sprouts, but I have to say one of my favorite is with balsamic. Build on this recipe and add in some of your favorite flavors!
One way we adjust this one is by adding in bacon and craisins! To do this, simply start off by cooking up some chopped bacon in your pan. Use at least 1/2 pound because, well, its freaking bacon.
Remove the bacon, reserving the grease in the pan and proceed with recipe using the bacon fat instead of the oil and butter. Towards the end, add the bacon back in and throw in some craisins. YUM!!!
Hopefully you can give this one a shot and maybe even recruit some new brussels sprouts fans over to the dark side.
Charred Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts
These crispy sweet and tangy bites of goodness will convert any Brussels Sprouts hater!
- 2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts, quartered
- 1-2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan, (shreds or grated)
- OPTIONAL VERSION:
- 1/2 lb. Bacon, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Craisins
- Step 1 Chop washed brussels sprouts into quarters, just trying to be as uniform in size as you can to cook evenly.
- Step 2 In large and deep skillet,, heat 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and 3 Tbsp butter over medium high heat until melted.
- Step 3 Add in brussels sprouts and stir to coat. Add salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Step 4 Allow to cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes, flipping around often, until browned and softened.
- Step 5 Add 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts and cook additional 203 minutes more.
- Step 6 Drizzle 2-3 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar over the veggies and stir. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Step 7 Toss in parmesan, mix and remove froom heat and serve!